Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Idiot


Not even 72 hours after hubby left disaster struck, it was a test for me, being here alone with my little angel, very limited understanding of their language, and circle of friends. However, I am thankful to any surprises that come my way, thankful that it was me and not someone else being put to test.

After dinner, I went to the kitchen to put the dishes in the dish washer, it was around 1830 hours, and I noticed that there was a small leakage from the boiler of the heater, water was dripping one drop at a time, slowly but surely. Obviously, I paniced because I cannot be in touch with hubby freely, neither do I know if this is gonna effect the boiler, my head was not thinking straight, I was afraid at the same time because of the gas.

I started to google for 24 hours plumbers that might be available here but nothing was listed, then hubby called and suggested that I use a chewing gum to cover the hole, are you for sure? Where on earth will I get the chewing gum now? Anyways, I was listening to him yet not listening, many wild things were going on my mind, as soon as he put the phone down, I dialed the police. Thank God they speak English, I was given the emergency number for gas related problems, they in turn gave me the 24 hours plumber number, but forewarned me that it will cost me the sky as it is passed the working hours, their advice was if I could wait till morning then it would be better.

Like I said the water was dripping slowly but surely, so I decided to give it a shot and call the plumber, one guy by the name of Dragon answer the phone, he speaks English, Alhamdulillah. After lamenting to him the problems, and his assurance that he can come to our place in like 5 minutes, I was delighted………………….. wait, wait hold on, the price, yes I forgot the price, called Dragon again and point blank I asked him, how much will it cost for him to come immediately (by now the time is nearly 2100 hours), shamelessly he told me 300 Euro, but I said the leaking was a tiny one, so he suggested that he come around tomorrow. Ok, whatever.

So this morning, I woke up, went to the bank to take some money, however, the ATM refused to accept my bank card, indicating that it is not recognized international. WTF? I then try another card, and it works, Alhamdulillah. On the way back, my mind was going round and round non-stop. 2nd disaster it keeps repeating.

Once home, I waited diligently for the plumber at the appointed time, he called on the dot, and asked for my address again. Fifteen minutes afterward he was not to be seen, I called and as though time is not a problem to him, he said he will come in an hour’s time. I was stunned, I called him again and again and again, but he did not pick up my call. Well, I am not a game for such arrogance, so I left him a message to cancel the appointment altogether.

Surprisingly 20 minutes after the phone message, the door bell rang and two guys were standing outside my door, they were sent by Dragon. I can’t help but being cynical, I told them that the appointment had been cancelled, ha ha ha ha. Idiot, you think I will let you have the fun, no I want to have the last laugh. Yes, I did have the last laugh, ermmmm ………………. But the water is still dripping from the boiler.

Till then I am holding my pride.

No comments: