Wednesday, July 16, 2008

This Thing Called Love

Many a time, I sit and ponder, what is this thing called LOVE? Every so often when I see an old wilted couple, still walking hand in hand, I will conclude that this is love. It is amazing, how every single thing can be related to love.

I have stumbled many times in my pursuit for love, I fall, I crawl and I stand, thinking over and over again that this could be it, but time and again I was wrong. How can you call it love when it is abusing you physically and emotionally, how can you call it love when it is so manipulative? I have been there, done that, and I learned my lessons well.

When I met hubby, I was cautious, the game of the heart is not new to me, so I was not in a hurry. We were both tested in many ways, most of all religion, families and distance. It was one of the toughest moments for both of us. No matter how bad the situation, we never call it quit, well, we did but somehow, it only draw us closer together.

During our courting, we hardly meet, my travelling took me away not only from him but from all the kids that I adore so much. My weekends and vacation were meant for the kids and family time, so our courtship was mainly on the internet, and phone calls. I can’t remember how often I called and he was already in dreamland, can you imagine calling him from all over, among others; Tunisia, Athens or Casablanca. A minute is enough to know that we are both doing fine.

He taught me how intense it could be when you care so much for someone, all you want is to see that person happy, safe and comfortable, and he sacrificed everything to establish the value of putting my happiness before his. He compromises nothing; always remains truthful to himself, thus building the trust in me. He accepted me as I am, together with the baggage of 4 kids. He gave me the feeling of security and the sense of appreciation.

With him, I was aware of all the significant parts that should play a focus factor in any relationship, namely physical, emotional, mental, social, and spiritual. I realized that none will work without the other, often we thought that it is love because of the physical attraction, but physical attraction does not last long. He taught me that all those factors are designed to be intertwined in order to make a relationship work.

Time is testing us yet again; soon I will be leaving him to be with another factor of my love – the kids. Saying goodbye hurts both of us all the time, we keep telling ourselves that it will get easier each time, but no, it does not. Our strength, our trust and the desire to make this marriage work keeps us going, we are pacified by this thing called LOVE.

Thank you for all your love.

No comments: