Thursday, July 17, 2008

Rainbow

There are many things in life that puzzled me till today, among the many wonders that I am still overwhelmed by is the rainbow. The beauty of the rainbow, the momentary appearance and the sudden disappearance is just overwhelming.

From when I was a little girl I was made to believe that there is a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, that you are not supposed to point at a rainbow, for fear that your finger will be stunted, and you should make as many wishes as you can before the rainbow is gone. It keeps your adrenalin going each time you see a rainbow, and I still love rainbows until today.

A rainbow is actually an arc of spectral colors, usually identified as red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet, that appears in the sky opposite the sun as a result of the refractive dispersion of sunlight in drops of rain or mist. This is rainbow after all, so where then is the pot of gold? Trust me I still wonder who is holding that pot, and why is it at the end of the rainbow? Can you actually reach the end of a rainbow? No, right because the arc is virtual, and runs from one end of the sky to the other relative to where you stand.

It is also believed that when you see a rainbow, this means good omen. Last Wednesday, when we were having dinner at the restaurant by the river together with the good darts people, a huge rainbow suddenly appeared. It seemed so close to where we were seated. Everyone just instantly took their cameras and start snapping away. Truly these people were a wonderful company, we had so much to laugh about, and it makes me want to believe that the rainbow is a good omen.

On top of this, out of nowhere a group of prominent NGOs dropped by at our table to say hello. These are people that I have heard and read about only, and to have the opportunity to shake their hands and to exchange phone numbers was an added belief to the myth of seeing a rainbow.

I also believe that the rainbow is actually a bridge between reality and the imaginary.

However, there are also saying that a project doomed to fail is one that was built on a rainbow. And more too often it is synonym to say that a person who chases rainbows is someone who never accomplishes anything. My little princess was taught by her friends at school to say that they are having a rainbow day, when they are having their period, it is cute right? Well I guess to each his own!!!

I trust People all over the world have different understanding and perception of beliefs towards the same thing. There are books and write ups on the myth of the rainbow, be it religiously, culturally or absolutely. But one thing for sure, when a rainbow appears everyone is struck by its forever magical beauty.

Whatever one may perceive, to me a rainbow is something that make me feel happy, I can sit and imagine a rainbow and make a wish. There is no doubt of that; these simple things to me do not need words and pictures to describe.

A Rainbow is just wonderful.

No comments: