Thursday, July 24, 2008

Cancer

Cancer (big C) or malignant neoplasm is a class of disease in which a group of cells display uncontrolled growth. They are invasive and can sometimes spread to other locations in the body through the lymph or blood. However, benign tumors are self limited, do no invade or spread. The field that studies, diagnoses, treats and prevents cancer is oncology.

I have been reading Raden’s blog for over a year, she is a breast cancer survivor who had one breast removed. This courageous woman journals nearly all the time, which she does since the invasion of big C. The pain, the fear, the tears, the contemplation, the positive attitude, the prayers, you name it, she has them all. Sadly now big C have spread to four more areas of her already fatigued body, namely the flesh in between her ribs, her liver, her right jaw node, and her left shoulder node. What can I do to help? But just pray that Allah keep her strong, lessen the pain, and keep her belief intact.

Coming in close contact with big C patients can be one hell of an experience for me. This is because I get myself so attached to them; it is the horrible feeling of helplessness that blankets my guilt, the echo of encouraging words being too often said, and the emptiness of an unexplained. By the way, I am also a voluntary with the Cancer Survivor.

One big C patient that I met who until today paints a picture of calmness, though he was already in the know of the time he had was the late Zahari. I remember, how I started the conversation with him, it was a fairly mild weather day, however, I noticed that he was sweating so much, every once in a while he will take out his hanky and wipe the seat away. One question that still stuck till today, and which I often reiterate to others was: `are you afraid?’. To this he responded `No, I have my life, I have done nearly everything that I wanted, and God knows best’. So, how do you detach yourself from such a short moment of wisdom? I can’t, I still think of him and the look on his face.

Then, I had the opportunity of reading an article on Facing Death, a testimony of a Muslim stricken with metastatic big C. It was surreal, trying to understand the turmoil that one had to undergo, knowing that time is of the essence. This stuck in my mind too; I inform anyone who will hold a discussion on big C with me, to read the article. Feel the anger of the writing, and understand how this anger can suddenly be turned to belief. It was great, fantastic to say the least.

I had encouraged people to understand that when around big C people, it is important to be in a communication that is cheery, do not touch on subjects with regards to what will happen to the material world when he/she is gone. Encourage them to go out when they are not feeling too sick, or ask them what they would like you to do for them.

With the big C survivors that I am involved with, we always encourage them to know that while fighting the disease, they should make the best of their time. Look pretty, feel happy, go for a good massage, and keep on dreaming.

I dedicate this entry to Raden, small Cindy, Evelyn, Aminah (sorry Aminah I promised to visit you, but I couldn’t, InsyaAllah we will meet), D’s sister (who I got to know through blogging), and to all of you big C survivors. God bless you all.

No comments: