Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Simply ............ Elise

First time I was introduced to Elise was more than a year ago. She looks so lonely in her own corner in the house in front of the TV, or on the balcony smoking her shisha or water pipe. She does not speak much English and she is fat.

Elise lives alone with her brother in law after her sister’s death many years ago, she washes, cooks, cleans and keeps the house for him, in return of him giving her a roof. I used to have a lot of fun about Elise and her brother in law.

Yesterday, we were told that Elise has to be taken to the hospital, she suddenly could not see in both her eyes and she is not well. I feel bad, she has been inviting me to come over and keep her company, but I had declined all the invitations, as I am not one to hang around and gossip, worst how can we communicate because she is not fluent in English.

I say a little prayer for her tonight, asking the Almighty to keep her strong and keep her health good, the same prayer that I asked of the Almighty when I was at the hospital last Saturday, and saw this patient on a wheelchair sitting alone, and trying very hard to swallow her food. It breaks my heart, where are the family or friends at least to keep her company.

We wanted to visit her at the hospital but were told that no visitors allowed, therefore, we will have to wait till she is discharged and visit her once she is back in the house. I told myself not to make fun of her anymore and to apologize to her when the opportunity comes.

I dedicate this entry to Elise, may you be able to see again and may the Almighty keep you in His Tender Care.

No comments: