Monday, June 16, 2008

Turkey vs Czech Republic

Turkish played the Czech Republic in a breathtaking situation. I was glued to the ground when Czech scored the first goal. It could not have been more complete when they banked in the second goal not long after. The cheering was echoed all around.

However, the rain started coming. First it was tiny drops then it continued with a bigger drop and heavier. As the rain became heavier, the Turks became more aggressive. For whatever reason, I have never been a fan of the Turkish team. My jaw dropped to the floor when the aggressive Turks scored in their first goal by Arda. I could not believe this happening as I was pretty sure that the Czech had sent the Turks home leading them with two to nil. Now it is the Turkish supporters turn to sing and dance and blow the horn.

I was praying hard that the rain will stop so that the Czech will get their rhythm back. Before I could even finish saying a hundred prayers, in goes the second goal by Mihat. Is there more to say, the sound of the rain could not drown the cheering of the Turkish supporters. It went on and on and you can see both teams getting very aggressive now. Flashes of yellow cards take turn from the white to the red color team. A third goal by the Turkish was banked, the hopes of the Czech were shattered more than anyone’s imagination. Some of the faces of the supporters were as solemn as the weather.

And the rain kept falling and the animalistic characteristic of each and every player kept on growling, and I guess the level of tolerance by the referee has gone down to zero, it was during the 90th minute, the red card was flashed to the burly built Turkish goalkeeper. He was contested but the goal keeper was still sent out of the field. What more is there to say, congratulations turkey and Czech you played a good game, luck was just not on your side.

And my husband who is never a football enthusiast, but has to come along all the time because I had wanted to, turned to me out of nowhere, I thought he was going to give a consolation to the loss that I felt but, to my horror, he just said, that was a humiliating defeat, isn’t it? I swear I could have pulled out his eyes from their socket, but then, it’s just a football game and he is my husband for life.

No comments: