Sunday, June 8, 2008

Epilepsy and Seizure

On the way to the football match, we saw these two supporters in the middle of the road. I decided to stop, however, hubby was against my action as in his work scope, it has been defined that you should first know that you are safe before attempting to help others. Ahhh.......... well, I was never in that part of the `crime' unit, so my first instinct is to go and give them my helping hands.

Sadly, as you can see the guy in black is pulling himself together as he has an epileptic attack, in other words he is having a seizure. I was shocked of course, and wonder how long has he been in this situation?

This is what I know about epilepsy, it is a disorder where nerve cells of the brain from time to time release abnormal electrical impulses, which may cause a temporary malfunction of the other nerve cells of the brain, resulting in alteration of, or complete loss of consciousness and seizure.

Virtually everyone can have a seizure under the right circumstances. Each of us has a brain seizure threshold which makes us more or less resistant to seizures. Seizures can have many causes, including brain injury, poisoning, head trauma, or stroke; and these factors are not restricted to any age group, sex, or race and neither is Epilepsy.

I was once diagnosed as suffering from Epilepsy, just because I had fallen down while having lunch, fainted and had a mild seizure. I was taken by an ambulance to a well known semi-government hospital. Well............. my father was furious with the diagnosis, we challenged the results, and I went through tons of EEG and other medical examination, alhamdulillah, I was given the clean bill. But, after losing a young cousin who succumbed to epilepsy, I never take any attack of seizure lightly.

Ok, back to that poor guy above, he managed to pull through and they decided not to continue with the football celebration, as the crowd was too much.

No comments: