Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Mean People



Recently, I came across a friend on vacation from Dubai, it is just normal to ask how all the friends there are. She gave me a run down on everyone and I was concerned on one particular friend named Laila, I knew she was diagnosed with ovarian cancer and already in the third stage. Laila had gone for treatment in Germany and Singapore, undergoing massive chemotherapy and radiation. Obviously the effect of this will make her skin turn dark. So, I was surprised when this friend told me bluntly that, even when she is still alive, she is being burnt already.

I just corrected her and said that this is normal for a cancer patient. In my heart I pray to God to keep her safe from such illness, and give her tongue a good cure. Why are people so mean? I can only deduce that we are what we absorb, if we absorb hate we will hate and if we absorb love we will love.

This is the culture that I often see in my society; they will rejoice on someone else’s misery and contemplate within their sick mind with meanness. I remember, once someone’s house was robbed and I was discussing this with my mom, she just said………….. hemm, the earnings they got to buy the property must be from some ill mannered ways. Gosh, give me a break, how can you even conclude that? However, when my sister’s house was robbed over and over again, she did not make such remarks.

My secretary’s eldest born daughter was a Cerebral palsy; she used to keep the baby hidden from public, as she was ashamed of this born, till her daughter’s demised. This is because the society had condemned that they deserved such a child due to what they might have done to others. It is really mean; I assured her most of the time that only God knows the reason and no one else.

I also notice that at work, the bosses are normally mean and nasty, especially if their subordinate is better than them. Instead of acknowledging that these workers are good, they choose to be mean, they will often play the role of a Dictator, threatening, abusing and ganging. Can I say that this kind of bosses is mean because they have deep rooted issues within themselves? They must be so beaten up in their head that abusing others give them the adrenalin rush, they go high on meanness. They allow the devil to be in the driver's seat.

I could go on writing about the issue of mean people, but blogging is a way of getting things off my chest, so I will have to be careful not to turn each topic to a lengthy reading. However, I would like to share here the job experience that I ever hated, which evolved around mean people. I was once employed to terminate two General Managers and an Accountant in a company. This is because in the mind of the Chairman these people were looting the company’s property. Somehow, I realized that one of them was my brother-in-law.

Consciously, I cannot carry out the termination of my own brother-in-law (though he plays no role in my life at all), and because of this the Chairman started finding faults with me. What he does not realize is that it is with utmost relief and happiness; I put in an immediate resignation. To me, there is no greater incentive then to avoid the journey to his office. However, my brother-in-law whose neck I have saved proved to be as mean as what the Chairman had revealed.

I will be damned if mean people have not paved the way to hell. So mean people, I sure hope you will have fun there. Now, I am mean too right? Well, if you can’t beat them…………………… so????

No comments: