Monday, June 23, 2008

Fortune Tellers

Do you believe in fortune tellers? Have you ever been to one, then ponder and wonder how the hell does he know about me? I have stumbled upon them coincidently many times but I have never let any of them read my palm. To me some of the fortune tellers are quite mind boggling and interesting, however I never take what they say seriously and often I would just forget them.

Two times since I have been here, I met the so called fortune teller, once was last winter when Amal and I were out shopping. We were stopped by this Punjabi looking guy (he was wearing the turban), he was saying things about me, and one way or the other telling me what to expect in the coming year. Politely, I told him that as a Muslim, it is wrong for me to believe in whatever he was saying. He just kept on going even when we decided to walk away already. Last Saturday, hubby and I were crossing the road when I was again approached by a similar character. But this time he instantly introduced himself as a fortune teller, and again the babbling about me, we politely said thank you and walked away, however, he was not done the babbling even when we were walking away.

Ultimately can I say that fortune-telling should not be seen as a very rigid belief. Personally, I find them very entertaining and can I also say that it is like a self-therapy, meaning you take what was told as a dosage of being aware always. When I was with the Diplomatic Mission, I had the opportunity to meet with Essam Khashoggi , it was a very interesting encounter. This is one guy who told me directly that he seek the help of the fortune teller diligently, he told me that the best ones are from Cairo. During that meeting, he had arranged for a lady to come and read his palm from `China Town’. She does not speak English and the translator was bad, the charge was 1,000RM being a house call. It’s amazing how someone can be so willing to pay such an amount for something so superficial.

Having said all this, I somehow found this person by the name of Michel Hayek aka as the modern time Nostradamus very interesting. He claimed that what he does, anyone can do it too. He does not term his predictions as fortune telling or likewise, he is just telling what his feelings were through tuning in to vibrations, images and signs that he gets day and night, even during his sleep by concentrating. He said that there is nothing exceptional to his ability of prediction.

So, can we then conclude that a kind of special force do exist in each and every one of use, if we concentrate hard enough????

No comments: