Friday, May 30, 2008

Dream On

Do you often dream? Why do we dream and how is it that most of the time we could not recall what the dream was all about. I am always fascinated by dreams and their interpretation. Reading books on dreams make me realized that their interpretation is not normally the same from one race or culture to the other. For 2 nights now I have been dreaming of numbers, I woke up and I could still remember the number but not the whole dream, so I am still wondering what could that mean.

Anyways, let me share with you some dream interpretation that was taught to me from my younger days:

Teeth falling out: Depending on which of your teeth that fall out, it is suppose to indicate that someone close or far will die. Creepy right, for so long I believe in this interpretation, and become very sad when I had such dream, especially if it is my two front teeth. However, I am over this now, I do believe that such a dream is about movement, being more mature, resistance to changes and everything about changes. Example the falling out of our milk teeth, means we will gradually loose our childhood innocence too.

Dreaming of snake: Depending on what color is the snake? Black, bright shiny so on, the meaning varies. Mom told me that if you dream that a snake bites you, this means that someone will come for your hand of marriage. I still remember when I was waiting for my MCE results; it was a very tireless wait, as both my elder sisters had failed in their attempt. So, on the day that the results were announced (the scene is still very clear in my mind), my mom was in the bathroom washing clothes, abah had just returned home from the garden, my siblings were just as anxious as me. So, I got dressed and told my parents that I am leaving; mom just came out of the bathroom and gave me some money. I was puzzled of course on her generosity, but took the money nevertheless. My elder sister was commenting on my dressing, as I was not wearing the baju kurung and she said, are you not scared?

I left for school alone, my mind wondering, my heart telling me that I should not fail my parents and I have to prove to them that daughters are not useless, I don’t know why but I was happy. As I entered the school, my friend came running and hugged me, congrats you made it. Wow, a burden lifted. To my parents, I did it.

When I arrived home, my parents were waiting at the veranda, smiles on their faces which carried on to tears and laughter, yes I made them proud. First daughter to get through the MCE. Then mom came out with her story, she told us all that she knew I will pass the examination, as prior to this she had dreamt that a very shiny snake came to her and was dancing in front of her, without the attempt to harm her at all. So there you go another interpretation.

Water and swimming ashore: Sometimes you dream that you were swimming and trying hard to get to shore or a safe ground. I had this kind of dream many times, especially when I am waiting for an answer or an outcome. If you swim and reach the shore then whatever you are hoping for will come with a positive answer. However, should you drown along the way, then the result will be a negative one. Guess this was implanted in me so much that I would automatically had such a dream whenever I am waiting for an examination result. BTW, this is also the same as climbing a cliff/mountain, escaping a burning area and entering a door.

Dreaming of carrying/cradling a baby: I had these dreams a couple of times and I was curious, so I called up a friend and he happily told that, good things are coming my way. Carrying/cradling a baby is associated with good luck. InsyaAllah.

Dreaming of sad things: There were times that I dream, and wake up crying, or saying my prayers, my husband once told me that I was reciting the azan in my sleep. I really don’t know the meaning of such dreams and I could hardly remember them either. My youngest daughter who often sleeps with me told me that it is kind of scary watching me with such dreams.

I believe that we go to bed every night and take the happiest and worst memory of the day with us. Therefore, we are actually the creator of our own dreams. Our waking minds still thinking while our body is sleeping. Nobody else can create dreams for us.

Could it be right to assume that dreams are a mixture of our biological instincts and personal experiences, plus the numerous cultural assumptions that we are bounded by. Let’s ponder and never be afraid to dream.

No comments: