Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Working Norm

Hope he knows when to drop offAs I hugged and kissed hubby goodbye, for he is leaving to work, I say a little prayer that he will have a better day today, that there will be more interesting development, architecture, debugging, testing and programming, whatever as long as his day will be as good as my day……………… staying home playing snood and kahuna, watching TV, eating and chatting with my kids. I have finally managed to kick the bad habit of afternoon napping though, hooray!!!!!

From the window of our apartment, I can see people daring the cold wind and rain hurrying to work, running to cross the lights and missing the tram, same frustrated faces, different day. I can also see that some shops are already open, and it is only 0800 hours. Working life, how can it be this way, people are like zombies and remotely controlled.

When I was working as the Regional Human Resources, once in a while, I will take the opportunity to talk to my staff and ask them whether they are happy at work, or are they just performing a ritual to feed the needs of family. Obviously, they lied almost all of them, oh yes, we like working. Of course, you like working and guess that’s the reason why I caught you snoring in the man’s toilet, caught you missing for 3 hours during lunch, and caught you cooking in the office pantry. It is sad to see what people have become just because they have to work.

I am one who do not believe that you should work beyond the norm of office hours, when I am not travelling I will make sure that everyone leaves the office on the dot, there will still be tomorrow and everything can wait. Monthly audit on the staff performances will give you an idea whether there are redundancies in the company or not. Your choices of people are very important, everyone has to be professionally qualified for their jobs, however, it helps to be hands-on too. When staff stay late in the office, there must be something that is super urgent, which is NONE!!!!, so I can only conclude that you stay late because you are not up to par with your performances or you just don’t have a life!!!!, ok, ok I have caught staff staying back because they want to use the computer as they do not have one at home. How sad can that be huh???? You are staying back at the company’s expense, electricity, drinks, water and OMG yeah, yeah, there are some who also claimed for overtime. People become less productive after 8 hours of the day ok.
I know it is not easy to change habit, that is the reason why we have behavioral changes and development course (but judging from the government people back home, no, they are oblivious, will blog on this later), so that we can try to ease the changes in habit. I realized that the world if full of willing people, some are willing to work, while the rest are willing to let them work. This is the reason why, I assumed that working people has stopped living during that time that they are at work, they have no anticipation any more. For example a postman, honestly tell me how many times have you discovered that your neighbors’ letters are in your letter box? If it happened once or twice, ok mistake, but if every time you opened your letter box, you will still discover the same, therefore the postman is JUST doing his chores blindly. Then there were a couple of times I travelled all the way for an appointment to discover that my secretary has mixed up the dates and the venues. Is working life that bad????? Tell me, because, I am one that strives for zero errors and I can’t stand tardiness.

And then have you seen the type of workers, who actually have requested for vacation, and being given the approval, so what are your problems? Hell, go enjoy your vacation, no, they will call the office and check whether the office is surviving without them….. duhhhh !!!! Don’t they know that the secret of success is making your vocation your vacation?

Hemm, you know what, I can go on and on about the entry of my blog today. The reason to starting this blog is for my grandchildren to know me one day (I am excited to be a grandma, InsyaAllah), I know that they will be the better generation of tomorrow, so I have this to tell them ……….. There are two kinds of people, those who do the work and those who take the credit. Try to be in the first group; there is less crowd and competition there, thus it becomes more interesting.

No comments: