Friday, May 23, 2008

Female Genital Mutilation

As I keep on watching the acts on play by the Secretary General of the UN, I can’t help but reaffirm my believe that this organization is a real shame. Judging from the people aka actors and actresses that were taken in as their spokes persons and liaisons, you can’t help but think, Oh, what a mockery.

I don’t know if most of you have come across one of the women that has walked across the podium of the UN stage, being hailed as a spokesperson against FGM (Female Genital Mutilation), her name is Waris Dirie (titles: Desert Dawn, Desert Flower, Desert Children), I stumbled on her books when I was living in the Middle East. Initially, I was engrossed with her claims as written; to me she is one courageous person to have endured so much at her young age and to succeed on the walk of fame, first as a model, then as a UN representative.

Oh, let me shed some understanding to the meaning of FGM aka female circumcision (sunat la gitu), this is a social custom, not a religious practice. However, in some Muslim countries where it is practiced, FGM is often justified by a controversial saying attributed to the Prophet Mohammed (Pbuh) that seems to favor sunna circumcision involving minor cutting of the clitoris. The authenticity of these sayings is unconfirmed, and some scholars have refuted them. Even if true, they only permit the practice; they do not mandate it. "According to Sayyid Sabiq, renowned scholar and author of Fiqh-us-Sunnah, all hadiths concerning female circumcision are non-authentic."

However, what amazed me was the truth of her claims in the book, among others was the research fully credible? She claimed that FGM is very much practiced in countries among others MALAYSIA, wait a minute, did I read that right? Malaysia? Gosh, I lived a hugh chunk of my life in Malaysia, and I was shocked to this claimed. Listen, we are not barbaric, I have three daughters and they all went through the ritual of the cultural belief, but they were far from being mutilated ………. Duhhhhh!!!!!!!!

For your kind information Miss Dirie, people in Malaysia are not among the countries that you claimed practicing this. I still remember when mom told me that my first daughter will have to undergo this process, of course, she asked my permission and my daughter was only 3 months old then. Just to put on record, we went to my mom’s state as this is where the experienced midwife live (midwife ok, not any old freak with a rusty knife) so I know that my baby will be in the right hand.

Culturally, this was what took place, the baby was bathed, caressed and serenaded to sleep, then a chicken was caught and the legs of the chicken tied with a small piece of string, the chicken was then placed at the balcony of the house. The midwife, my mom and with my daughter in my arms then decided that the process will take place, I was sitting there watching the whole thing, don’t know exactly what took place, but the baby just gave a little bit of cry and continue sleeping again, there was not a trickle of blood, and everything took place less than 10 minutes. With my daughter back in my arms, they untied the chicken, throw some rice to the chicken and noted how fast the chicken started picking on the rice. This is to symbolized how young or old my daughter’s hand will be claimed for wedding. It was a memorable experience for me and something that I can share with her and my grandchildren (InsyaAllah). However, I know now that FGM is not warranted by religious believe, it is always the norm of culture over ruling the depth of your knowledge into what was brought down to you by generation. If you ask me, will I allow this practice on the next generation to come? Answer…… No.

So, I reiterate here NO MUTILATION OK!!!! ………………………………………………. And I am specifically relating to my experience in Malaysia, so Ms Dirie, get your facts right and to the UN actions speak better than words.

Interesting Reading:
Position paper on Female Genital Mutilation/Female Circumcision," Muslim Women's League, at: http://www.mwlusa.org/

Sami A. Aldeeb Abu-Sahlieh, "Religious arguments about male and female circumcision," at: http://www.lpj.org/

Nawal El-Saadawi, "The hidden face of Eve, Women in the Arab World," translated and edited by Sherif Hetata, Zed Press, London, 1980, P. 33.

Partial Translation of Sunan Abu-Dawud, Book 41: General Behavior (Kitab Al-Adab)," at: http://www.usc.edu/

"Muslim scholars rule female circumcision un-Islamic," The Age, 2006-NOV-24, at: http://www.theage.com.au/

1 comment:

redSeptember said...

FGM is not circumcision.

FGM is just totally sick.

anyway, what did the rooster signaled for my future destiny? heheheh