Sunday, January 15, 2012

Ladybugs

 
 
It was on a day that the snow was falling fluffy and soft like cotton candy, while the hail was dropping along with it, and the wind was howling like a sick child in pain, and I was mesmerized by the Lord’s creation, so as usual I took my amateur camera to work. I decided to open one of the windows in the living despite the strong cold wind, and guess what a tiny beautiful fragile looking ladybug invited itself to my humble home. The angels and I were excited; simple things in life bring the best out of us.

CD then told us that ladybug is a symbol of good luck, which prompted me to look up the legends behind the myth of ladybugs, and this is what I discovered:

- Nearly ALL cultures believe that a Ladybug is lucky.

- Killing one is said to bring sadness and misfortune.

- In France, if a Ladybug landed on you, whatever ailment you had would fly away with the Ladybug.

- If a Ladybug is held in the hand while making a wish, the direction that it flies away to shows where your luck will come from.

- If the spots on the wings of a Ladybug are more than seven, it's a sign of coming famine. If less than seven, it means you will have a good harvest.

- In some Asian cultures, it is believed that the Ladybug understands human language, and has been blessed by God, Himself.

- In Brussels, the black spots on the back of a Ladybug indicate to the person holding it how many children he/she will have.

- During the Pioneer days, if a family found a Ladybug in their log cabin during the winter, it was considered a "Good Omen".

- Folklore suggests if you catch a Ladybug in your home, count the number of spots and that's how many dollars you'll soon find.

- Ladybug teaches us how to restore our faith and trust in Great Spirit. It initiates change where it is needed the most. When ladybug appears it is asking us to get out of our own way and allow Great Spirit to enter.

Whatever it is I love ladybugs because they are simply cute and beautiful, and they are quite rare to be found nowadays. I also believe that ladybugs are truly well-loved in the world especially in Europe, where ladybugs miniatures are being sold as gift to be given in wishing anyone a very happy new year.

I am happy that this cute little lady invited itself into my home in the freezing cold of winter. May you take all my miseries away with you……………. He he he.

1 comment:

mummy-who-cooks said...

Ma.. maybe the the luck is..."I will be bringing you a bottle of 'Kicap Kipas Udang..!'

Its a joke ya Ma.... I could use one at the moment... :(