Thursday, October 15, 2009

I Don't Want My Father's Name

One evening in our warm kitchen, while watching me preparing for dinner:

Chef diva: mama, can I drop my father’s name from my name?

Mama: (surprise but acting macho), of course you can, why?

Chef diva: (not answering the question) can you tell me how to do it?

So I told her that she will need to take an oath at the court back home, and give them evidence why you wanted to do that, and then you will have to take the court order to the registration and do the formal changes there. However, dropping of a father’s name might need a very strong reason (knowing the sensitivity of the family institution over there).

I took the liberty to tell my little angel of the conversation that I had with her sister, her eyes lighted up suddenly with excitement, and asked me if she can do the same. My jaw dropped at her excitement, and asked her why. Her answer was that she wanted to take my name instead. She was persistence on this, wanting my name to be with her name.

Arr……………………….. I wonder what next they will be thinking of. My wonderful angels.