Sunday, May 17, 2009

The Failed Janitor

I had just agreed to take up another post overseas when the telephone call came, it was indeed something unexpected, but the urgency of the request from someone that I love dearly could not just be responded negatively.

Having only a week more to go before my departure, I welcomed the boy into our home, the decision was not an easy one, my kids were devastated with my decision, but how could I break a heart that was hoping, I cannot. I was told that nobody cares about him anymore; no one wants to take him in, as he had gone out of control, he was mixing around with boys doing drugs, and he was also smoking, besides many other unfortunate habits that he had picked up in his growing age.

I took the time to take him around in looking for a job, meaning spending less time with my kids, however, with his qualification there was nothing much that can be thrown on his plate, but he was not interested to be just a helper, he wanted to be the BOSS!!! With very little time left, his refusal to go and work, I suggested that he continue with his studies.

On the night of my departure, I kept reminding him to study hard, be good and try to drop smoking. His promised was never convincing to me, as his body language was more than happy to see me leaving the house. With a heavy heart, I prayed to the Lord to keep my kids safe, as well as him.

I guess a leopard can never change its spots, he had the least of respect for any of my kids, while my daughters had sacrificed their room for him and moved to my room, he was a real nuisance to them, he was knocking away on the keyboard of the computer in my room, chatting away till the wee hours of morning, therefore making it very difficult for the girls to have proper sleep. He treated the house like a hotel, coming and leaving like nobody’s business, he expected to be served his meals, his clothes to be washed, my poor daughters were like maids to him, he brought friends home, while knowing that I am very concerned about my daughters at all times.

The college informed me that his attendance was very poor; he was dressing up like a junky, wearing thick silver chain, loud statement Ts, hanging around with the worst of the lots and so on. At all time I can’t even talk about his behavior to anyone, as I was expected to do miracle with this poison.

He even complaint that he could not go to college because he does not have a transport, while I had already assigned a cab to be at his disposal. His lies were welcomed music to everyone.

After discovering boxes of condoms in his drawer, I was left with no choice but to send him back to where he belongs. From then on, I became the villain, this janitor had failed in cleaning yet another toilet, you know I don’t care, talk as much as you like, lie as much as you can. Alhamdulillah, I am free of you, and good luck that’s all that I can say.

Do I regret my decision in taking you in, no, not at all.

No comments: