Wednesday, November 12, 2008

What If?????

On my way back from having an evening tea with a girlfriend, I decided to detour to the petrol station that is just around the corner to our condo. I had to get the STAR paper as there was something that I needed to read.

Parked my car right in front of the station’s utility shop, made a quick entrance, picked up the newspaper and walked right back to my car. Once I was in the car I on the engine and put on my seat belt. Suddenly, from the side of the shop I saw a man walking towards my car, he was kind of fast; on impulse I put my feet on the break which immediately locked the car.

The next minute this man was standing so so close to my side of the door and knocking on my window. I have to stay as calm as possible, as I could not back my car for fear that I might run him down, I did not sound the honk for fear that no one will come to my rescue and it can only make the man angry. I waited with my eyes fixed on my steering wheel.

Meanwhile, the man was now showing a sign from outside for me to lower the window, at first I hesitated but he is not moving, weird is no one seem to notice all these actions that is going on. I told myself not to panic and decided to put down my window just enough to hear what he wanted.

He was mumbling something about money and not having enough petrol to make it home to Ulu Selangor (don’t even know where this is). Noticing that I do not understand what he was talking about, he repeated himself. He wanted RM20.00 because he does not have money to fill up his motorbike petrol, which also means that he would not be able to go home.

I asked him why he can’t fill RM10.00 of petrol only, his reasons was Ulu Selangor is too far for RM10.00 worth of petrol. In my mind I just wanted this man out of my way and off my face already, which ended up with me refusing to make any more conversation but giving him the money. When I opened my bag I discovered that I have no small change except for RM15.00, took the money gave it to him and told him that sorry I don’t have any change and quickly put up my windows.

He stood there holding the money in what seemed like ages before he decided to turn and walk away from my car. I stayed a bit longer and watched where he was heading to before moving the car.

I drove but stopped just before entering the condo, as I could not help myself from crying. Reasons for the tears were many but among them was what if it was one of my kids behind the wheels? What if that man was genuine and he really cannot get home? What if my kids were facing this problem?

No comments: