Monday, November 10, 2008

Single Mum............... Stand Tall and Smile

My son sent me this article An Insult To Single Mum, after reading it, only one question came to my mind, how low more will single mums be treated. Do I feel sad seeing this article being so boldly printed? Answer – No, not at all.

I was a single mum with four wonderful children for a long long time; I went to hell and back to make ends meet just to give my kids the best in everything. The world was watching but does anyone even bother to extend a helping hand? No, no one, not even my own family.

Giving RM1,000 to men who will take single mothers as their second wife is ridiculous. I am sure many smart single mothers out there would rather stay single then to take on another burden of being a second wife, and giving the pleasure to the man pocketing RM1,000 per month, we are not that cheap. My salary when the kids were growing up surpasses more then twenty folds of what the Malacca government is offering. Who in the right mind will want to share her earning with another man just not to be single anymore? Just so the label of a single mother will be lifted off her shoulder?

Sometimes I wonder why the women whatever association department was set up for. Single mothers are very much fighting for their own rights, I remember how many times I went to approach all the necessary government bodies so that my daughter could be given a scholarship or even a study loan, and each time I was given the same negative response even when they were in the know that I was a single mother of four. I remember how desperate I was when the government will not recognize single mothers renewing the passport of their own child. I remember how school will not accept a single mother’s application without the appropriate papers. I remember crying until no tears will flow alone in the night, thinking if I do not work three times as hard, what will my children be?

To Chuah Ping Shien if you think your letter will make a difference keep on writing, all I can tell you is that as long as we are here in this country Change We Cannot!!!!!

Good luck to your mother and just shower her with all the love and respect that you have. Let the world make a mockery of single mothers but as long as our children are good and responsible people, that’s all that matters.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Two single mothers became part-time prostitutes to make ends meet after their ex-husbands failed to pay maintenance despite the Syariah Court order.

Worse still, the two women – a security guard and a cleaner – had to allow their colleagues to pay in instalments for “services rendered” to earn extra money.

Source: The Star