Saturday, March 17, 2012

That Toothless Old Lady Was Just Beautiful In My Eyes

I saw this old lady sitting alone in deep thought in a busy wet market. The weather was cold; it was raining not just normal raining but super heavy rain. I have always been fascinated by the way people look, especially when I am able to catch that magical moment of wondering.

People don’t smile much now, most of them wore a look like as though they have seen an alien or something, but I think that is alright. What is amazing to me though is the way people look when they are lost in deep thought, they suddenly look so confused and serious and angry. Some will bite their lips, some will start chewing on their nails, then there are those who start staring around like an antenna. Ha ha ha love those faces in a crowd.

This old lady was someone that interests me, she has all that on her face, and no teeth and most of the men there were trying to make her laugh with some jokes that I don’t understand. I tried to capture that seriousness toothless face, but she managed to ditch the lens of my camera all the time.

The way she turned her head away from my lens was so swift, it make me chuckle. The way she glanced, the way she smirked, the half-smile that she was trying so hard to hide was all so fascinating to me. I keep on teasing her, in fact begging her to let me take a picture with her, but she just refused.

All I can see in this old lady is the story of holding back tears of sadness, the face that wanted to say so much yet holding it all in, the look of lost love, and the look of wander why the world is not a paradise to her after all.

I really love the way she looked, for a while I was mesmerized by her, I want to know more about her, and if not for the rain starting again, I would stay there with her and help her to sell her two pails of fresh olives (seriously).

That toothless old lady was just beautiful in my eyes.

No comments: