Friday, March 23, 2012

My Osso Bucco

Osso Bucco is an Italian dish of braised veal shanks or Ox tailand I was introduced to this recipe by CD. When I decided to cook this dish I do not have any veal shanks nor Ox tail, but I have spare ribs instead.
yellow onions, carrot and celery 
 1.2 kg of spare ribs, cleaned, and paper towel dry
 I added cinnamon stick, cloves, star anise and bay leave to the dish as well
 once the spare ribs were totally dried, I dredged them with some flour
heat cooking oil on high in a heavy bottom pot, add the spare ribs and fry both side till well browned (I took 10 minutes to do this, 5 minutes on each side of the ribs)
 the browned spare ribs
 in the same pot (I removed some of the oil) add the yellow onions, carrot and celery and fry till the onions are translucent and vegetables slightly brown
 add the spare ribs and 2 tablespoon of tomato puree to the pot
 add 1 cup of non alcoholic red wine or dry white wine and let it boil and reduce a bit
 after that I pour in 2 cups of chicken stock (as I do not have beef stock) and add all the spices, and I let it boil for at least 15 minutes more before transferring the dish to my dutch oven
 
 
 the dutch oven is then put into a preheat oven at 200 degrees Celsius for 3 hours, but towards the end of cooking time I reduce the heat to half
 
this is the final results of my Osso Bucco.............................. need I write more?.................. FANTASTIC!!!!

No comments: