Saturday, February 25, 2012

Come Hug Me..................... It's FREE

I learned about free hugs while watching the controversial story of Juan Mann on Oprah a long time back. I thought it was a noble mission to be able to reach out and hug a stranger just to brighten up their lives.

On one windy day while I was walking alone on the ever so famous tourist street in the first district, I saw a young lady standing alone with a cardboard placard that reads “FREE HUGS”, I stopped and watched a couple of people going to her for a free hug. Something about the lady caught my eyes, it was her bruised face, it was as though someone had beaten her on the face, and it was blue black.

Taking out my camera to snap her picture, she just stood there and smiled at me, I was still struggling with my focusing, then she open her arms reaching out to me for a hug. I felt a little bit awkward initially, but she continued reaching out for me, then I felt that it was so right to go and hug her, and the picture taking was forgotten.

We hug and her hugs were so genuine and sincere, I don’t know why but suddenly we both were silently sobbing, tears were just flowing from our eyes. She whispered to me “Thank you for making me happy”, in return I told her “You make my day”. We hug a little bit longer. Then we let go, but as I was leaving something told me to give her another hug. We hug again, we cry again, this time longer, not caring if anyone was watching us, or if anyone saw the tears from our eyes. The wonderful feeling of being hug by a stranger was just magical.

I left without turning back, the strong wind blew my tears all over my face, I don’t feel ashamed that I cried, all I could remember was that young lady out there waiting for me, reaching out for me, happy to see me, to smile at me and to hug me.

She was just staring right through me.

No comments: