Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Roti Jala

For some reasons when you are away from home, you will start to crave for food that is not normally the norm of your own menu. That was exactly what happened to me a couple of months back, I was pining for the taste and smell of Roti Jala.

When Chef Diva was coming back late last month, I requested that she brings along with her the mould to makes Roti Jala, as I could not find any here, not even in the Asian shops.

Last Sunday, I decided to try my hand at making the Roti Jala for the first time. I searched the internet for the best and easiest to make recipe, after so many searches I found one which I improvised to make the batter a bit fat free. The Roti Jala turns out to be very nice, and I was eating it on its own too.

Here’s my recipe for the Roti Jala:
2 cups all purpose flour, 2 large fresh eggs, 2 cups of low fat milk, 1 cup water, salt to taste and some turmeric powder for coloring. Vegetable cooking oil to grease the frying pan.

Method
In a bowl mix together the low fat milk, eggs, water, salt and turmeric powder, then gradually sift in the all purpose flour. Strain the mixture through a fine sieve until a thin batter is achieved.
Heat a crepe pan on medium heat, lightly grease pan with some vegetable cooking oil. Scoop the batter with the Roti Jala mould and in a circular motion form a net like pattern in the pan. Cook only on one side until set, fold each Roti Jala into quarter to form a triangle. Arrange Roti Jala on top of each other on a plate.

I served the Roti Jala with thick chicken curry and chili aubergines. Note for my curry I neither use coconut milk nor milk. These were substituted with fresh tomatoes instead.

No comments: