Friday, February 12, 2010

Mamak Fried Chicken

Someday alone in my tiny home, I thought I can make a great cook. It does not take much for me to learn anything new but also to make it better. In fact on a charity basis together with some of the NGOs I had penned down my special recipes for a charity cooking book, which went on sale in 2008 back home.

With the weather so eccentric from one day to the other, I love cooking spicy food to keep us warm, which can be a bit too much for my poor hubby at times. The chili that my girlfriend got for me from Singapore was really really so so spicy, and there is nothing much I can do about that, and I am sure not going to discard of the chili as they never come easy here.

Anyways, last Tuesday, I decided to try and make Mamak Fried Chicken. You know the kind of fried chicken that you can only get in a Mamak stalls or restaurants. I got some already mixed spice from Singapore but the smell of the spices can be unbearable at times. So I decided to make my own mixture of spices for this cooking.

Here is my Mamak Fried Chicken recipe:

Ingredients:
12 pieces chicken wings, 1 small packet of Alagappa’s chicken curry powder, 2 table spoon of chili powder, 1 tablespoon turmeric powder, salt to taste, coarsely cracked coriander seed, 3 tablespoons of rice flour, some fresh curry leaves, and cooking oil for deep frying.

Method:
Clean and wash the chicken wings, pat dry with paper towel. Mix the curry powder, chili, turmeric powder, coriander seed, salt and water to a thick paste. Add the chicken wings to the mixture and marinate for at least two hours.

Before frying add the rice flour to the marinated chicken wings, and if necessary add some water, but not too dilute. The mixture of the rice flour to the marinated chicken wings should be thick like a frying batter.

Heat oil in a deep wok; add the curry leaves then fry the chicken wings in batches. The chicken wings should come out nice and crispy.

Good trying!!!!!

No comments: