Wednesday, December 10, 2008

What Is There In A Name?

What is there in a name? Often you will hear this question being asked. Each and every one of us was given a name, just so we can be identified easily, just so we are molded into the character of the name or vice versa.

Recently when I was in Kampung Hilir, Sungai Petani, Kedah I saw a road named `Jalan Haji Shaari’. I couldn’t help but smile at the similarity of the name to that of my own father. My eldest daughter was proudly saying that if any one were to tell me that this is my grandfather’s road, I will surely say, yes it is.

Like my father the road sign has seen its light of days, suddenly I feel the pang of missing him so dearly. He is the greatest father that anyone could ask for, he is a very calm person, very patience, does not talk much and a great thinker. My father is a very diplomatic person, he does not gossip, he is not judgmental, and he is just so simple.

Back to the question, what is there in a name? Like all of us our names will be attached to many other persons in the world. There were other Shaaris that I know who are not at all like my father. Therefore, will the name make us or will we make the name?

I always thought that my name was so cliché, till I realized that it is so common that my name become synonym of those from the village, however, it is still my name. If I were given the opportunity would I change my name? May be or may be not, because besides being too common a name, its meaning is good. My name means thankful were my parents being thankful when I was born, or was it just a name to fill in the blank, as I was their fifth born, and I bet by then the excitement of naming another child is just a chore.

You tell me.

No comments: