Friday, August 26, 2011

I Was Hit By The Heat Wave

The weather has been extremely hot these few days. The portable air conditioner that we have was too noisy to stay on for the whole day, especially in the night. We have no choice but to do what the rest of the neighbors are doing, to open all our windows even in the night. The only disadvantage is that our house is facing the courtyard and the greenery; therefore, we have a lot of uninvited bugs entering the house.

The day before yesterday, I had to go and run some errands. Going out of the house in this weather is not something that I love doing, but errands must be completed. The fasting in summer is super long hours, and I was hoping that I am good not to be hit by the heat wave and get dehydrated.

I need to do a lot of walking to complete the errands; I could feel the sweat dripping down my spine, on my forehead, underneath the frame of my glasses, above my lips, and my feet too were oozing out sweat. My head began to spin and then there was a very sharp pain from the back of the head. The pain was unbearable but I carried on, a couple of times I do feel like puking but I held on to all these absurdity as I want to complete all the errands and not break my fast.

By the time I reached home I was exhausted, no amount of air conditioning, fan or the wind from outside could make the horrible headache go away, my whole body was as sticky as super glue. I tried to sleep my headache away but it was just not working. Finally, I decided to climb into the bath tub and take a very long cool shower. It was so refreshing, but was not refreshing enough to sooth the headache away.

I carried on like a zombie, how I managed the evening meal which we took at around 8pm, I don’t know. In between the meal, I quickly took my magic pill with the hope that my headache will be put to rest. After the meal, I cleaned up, put my thin mattresses on the floor and before long I was sleeping like a baby and the headache was a distant pain.

I was hit by the heat wave.

No comments: