Wednesday, August 10, 2011

I Might Begrudge

I decided to change the Cloak (Telekung) today, as it has already exceeded three days of usage. By far this is the best telekung that I have; it was given to me by a friend a very long time ago. In between more friends had given me the same gift, but none compares to my old one.

I like my telekung in one color preferably white or baby yellow (very light yellow) and only in one simple design, no overelaborate laces or embroidery or mixed colors. Most importantly the material of the telekung has to be of very high quality cotton. The length of the telekung has to be at least half way covering my sarong. I know being that fussy; I can never get one that is ready made.

Coming back to my old telekung, it has now the tell-tale signs of old age, the sarong has given way at the joint many times, and the Cloak is also having some tears under the chin. However, because it is my favorite I have stitched it up a couple of times and I am sure that no stitches could hold the sarong as well as the Cloak any longer. It will be so sad if I have to discard off the sarong totally, and later on the Cloak will have to follow suit.

Living life here, I noticed that the ladies do not wear the same attire as I do at the mosque and during prayers. They wore their ordinary dresses and cover their head with a head scarf, whiles their hands and legs are left uncovered, but then again the ladies have a place totally non visible to the man. I am still not used to not wearing my Cloak for prayers, though I appreciate that it is much simpler the way the ladies here are attired for prayers.

Having not much choice, I will now have to start getting used to the other telekung that I have been keeping at the back of my cabinet. You know, I just want to be comfortable and happy when I am talking to the Lord in my prayers. Therefore, when I am not comfortable in my Cloak I am afraid that I might begrudge the material while I am shrouded in it.

Help me Lord.

No comments: