Thursday, January 28, 2010

Avocado

Amazing how at times you have the heavy craving for something out of your ordinary, and you cannot figure out what had brought your thoughts of appetite in that direction.

Amidst the heavy snow falling outside, in the warmth of my room, I was thinking of Avocado. Not just the yummy Avocado dips to go with anything that you can set your palate to imagine, but simply the fresh ripe Avocado.

I still remember when I was living with my late grandmother for some stage of my life. There was a neighbor that had a very tall wild Avocado tree. The owner of that land was a very very fair old, yet scarily fierce old lady. No matter how tall the tree was against her petite built of less than 5 ft. she actually knows exactly how many Avocado fruits were there in the tree. She will walk under the tree so regularly to make sure that whatever fruits that fell, will not be missed.

When you were young, you are curious, you are furious, you just want to get the very things that you should not set your eyes on, least your hands. However, having tasted the Avocado from the old lady’s tree, no other Avocado up to this date could taste the same.

On a couple of occasions, I would sneak behind my grandma’s house, with my eyes and ears like the antenna of an alien, vigilant that I will not be caught by anyone stealing the Avocado, that I had diligently waited in vain to drop.

Once the Avocado is within my reach, I hold it like a precious piece of polished diamond and scamm. I will then call my sister to tell her of my pleasure of sin, we will be so happy to devour the Avocado. We called the Avocado ‘buah mentega’ (margarine fruit) simply because of its buttery taste. Once the Avocado is cut into half, the hard seed in the middle removed, a spoonful of coarse sugar added, devouring this simple fruit was nothing compared to any fine dining cuisine then.

Alright, this entry was actually about me wanting to know why the Avocado available in the supermarket now is nothing compared to those that I used to know. The farmed Avocado is simply horrible and I cannot even share with my kids now the real wonderful taste of an Avocado.

Oh blimey me.

No comments: