Monday, March 16, 2009

Ecuador Roses

When you opened the door to greet us with the usual salam, your ever joyful voice could not even hide the torment of the disease that is furiously invading your body. Your hugs still warm yet weak, I noticed that you have lost some weight, but choose not to mention this, as I handed the Ecuador roses to you.

We got seated at the table and you got started on your situation, you were told that Big C had been detected in your stomach, under your armpit, your back bone and a lesion was also found in your brain. I fell silent for a moment not knowing where to pick up from here. Repeatedly I told you to be strong and that the Lord has reasons for everything.

A lump welled up inside me as I watched your only son come and sit on your lap, though you had just returned from your hospitalization, you accepted him and started stroking his back with so much love, only a mother will understand how.

I can’t help wondering if you have started getting him prepared for the uncertainty of the future, wonder if he knows how advanced your situation is at the moment, wonder if you have started buying him all the presents that you might want him to have on each birthday when you are no longer around, like a train my mind was rambling on nonstop.

You said you loved the Ecuador roses, you love the smell and your kitchen looked brighter with them in there. If only all the Ecuador roses in the world could make you better, I would go an extra mile to get them for you.

Be strong my friend, just keep on being strong.

No comments: