Wednesday, June 29, 2011

'Cencohor' The Aurbegine Soup

After pumping in all the cholesterol of indulging in the pizza and the succulent charred steak, I have to go slow on the next day dinner for both hubby and me. Initially, I wanted to just go on the fat free yoghurt and dried olives. However, by dinner time I decided to make a mild soup of vegetables for us.

Actually, this dish is not known as soup in my family but when I introduced this dish to hubby, he named the dish as aubergine soup. This dish is very famous in my family, we all love this simple dish, and you can either use aubergine or okra in making it.

The dish is called ‘cencohor’, don’t ask me what that means, or where it comes from because I don’t know. But this dish is very commonly served to anyone who is feeling sick and has no appetite to eat in our family.

This is how I cook my ‘cencohor’ dish, simply pound together a couple of dried chilies, one whole medium size onion, 3 cloves of garlic, fresh turmeric and a small piece of shrimp paste. Put the pounded ingredients in a clay pot and add 3 cups of water and 3 pieces of ‘asam keping’, bring to boil. Cut the aubergine into any desired size and add to the pot once the soup is boiling, let boil till the aubergine is done, off the stove and immediately add some cut tomato. Please don’t forget to add some salt for taste.

This dish is great with ‘sambal belacan’ and ‘ulam’.

No comments: