Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Swiss Roll

Swiss roll is never one of my favorite cakes, so when my little angel failed at her first attempt at it I was happy as I do not have to taste it. Then surprise surprise this semester and under the same teacher, she was again taught to make Swiss roll.

She was excited on the day of the baking, as the theme was for children’s party. For days she was planning what to put in her Swiss roll, and the kind of decoration that she wanted. Silently I was praying that this time round her attempt will be so good that she might have to share it with friends at school, and Walla I don’t have to taste the Swiss roll.

When she returned from school, with a sad face she told me that she failed at her second attempt of making the Swiss roll. My response was, ‘it’s alright, you will learn and get that right one day’. I saw the container containing the miserly looking Swiss roll, and ermm……….. she encouraged me to taste it. Yeah, well what the heck, for her sake of course I have to taste it. It was horrible, I tell you simply horrible.

However, she is one that never gives up so easily, quietly she asked Chef Diva to teach her how to bake a proper Swiss roll again. One evening after dinner, they spent extra time in kitchen; this was not unusual for me as they always have a lot of things to share while cleaning up the kitchen. Then they came to my room one holding a butter knife and one holding a sweet looking Swiss roll.

The first piece was given to me; wow I never knew that Swiss roll can taste this yummy. Chef Diva is magical when it comes to baking and the filling of coconut flakes with chocolate rice was just the right combination. I didn’t realize that I was actually eating more than just a piece of the cake.

Verdict, I will only eat Swiss roll if it is baked by Chef Diva and my little angel, and absolutely no ‘pandan’ flavor.

No comments: