Friday, April 16, 2010

How Can They Talk?

We finally went to the AAI invitation again last evening, and this time around it was the right date, day, time and venue. I did not prepare anything, as I was experimenting with yet another new recipe; famously know in the Croatian-Serbian menu called Burek. At experimenting, I only made enough for the four of us.

We left the house at 1815 hours just to be greeted by heavy rain as we step out of the front main door. No one wants to turn back to fetch an umbrella, and hubby is not with us as he is working, and we are supposed to meet half way. Well, rain or shine, we were not going to miss this invite, so laughingly we weathered the rain and made it to our destination. Thank goodness the wind was mild, so it was surprisingly quite refreshing to walk in the rain.

AAI aired a Syrian documentary about children in the slum, and it was sad to see how childhood is taken away from the kids, how they were denied the simple things in life, how they dream of becoming a doctor, an engineer but were never given the opportunity to hold a pencil or read a book, lest step into a classroom. There were some questions and answers after the airing of the documentary.

However, the questions that my little angel asked me in the middle of the documentary nearly made me burst out laughing, if not because I have to behave myself in public. Here’s her question, “Mama, if the children don’t know how to write and read, then how come they can talk?”

Go figure ok, I am still laughing as I write this entry……………….. ahhh my darling little angel.