Friday, October 24, 2008

May You Rest in Peace

There were two missed calls on my mobile at the wee hours of dawn; I have the habit of switching my phone to silent mode when I am sleeping. The number could only mean bad news; I have no choice but to call back as soon as I saw the missed calls.

True to my expectation, abang had gone into a worse condition, it just happened that I do not have the car today, so I decided that I will go later once the kids are back for school. However, there was this feeling of unrest which is telling me to do something immediately, so I decided to take the taxi to the hospital.

I went to see you as soon as I arrived but the curtains to your room were drawn, I could see doctors and nurses legs from below the curtain, they must still be busy working on you. I left and joined the rest in the waiting area, not forgetting to recite the `Yasin’ while waiting.

Not long after, we were informed that your room has been vacated of most of the furniture to make way for the family members to be with you in your last minutes of living. We all hanged on to each other as we prayed for your peaceful passage to the after world. The moment was surreal, no word can describe it at all.

Alhamdulillah, you went not too long afterwards with all the people who cared for you around you.

Letting go is one of the most powerful expressions of faith that we can offer to you, when your death came without anticipation. Into the Almighty’s hand you go abang.

Saying good-bye will always be painful. Please rest in peace abang.

Al-Fatiha.

No comments: