Monday, June 17, 2013

Plain Dosai

My appetite is playing yo-yo with me all the time. Yeah, I cook all the time because that’s what I love doing and enjoy knowing that hubby and my little angel are there to savor the cooking. I would sit at the dining table and be happy listening to the compliment that they made or the critics that they have. My food cravings are for things that I know it is not impossible to get here but can be super difficult. A couple of weeks back I was craving for plain Dosai, called a girlfriend in Singapore to check with her how to cook this, and also Google the internet for the same reason. Though the recipe was easy to follow but I have no clue what ‘urad dal’ (split black lentils) or ‘methi’ (fenugreek seeds) or ‘poha’ (beaten rice) is all about. Therefore, I carry on my craving for Dosai until one fine day, when I came across a picture of the very thing that I wanted to eat on the wall of a small Indian café. Again the cleanliness was my biggest concern, but then my craving took the better of me. In the tiny café, as sticky as anything that you can imagine in this hot summer weather (no air-conditioning at all), together with the smell of people and the aroma of the food, I queued and got any Dosai. It was nice but nothing to shout about. That evening I had one very angry stomach…………..

No comments: