Monday, November 29, 2010

Turkish Coffee Please

There are various types of coffee in the market today, so much so that some have been given a branded name for marketing strategy, thus making the cost of a cup of coffee to be unaffordable to me at some fine restaurants.

Coffee was a must for me after food for so many years, till I was advised to stop too much consumption of it by the doctor. It was difficult especially when someone else is brewing the coffee, the aroma was enough for me to go gaga, and I must admit that the doctor’s advice never played too much of a strategic role then.

My all favorite time coffee is the Turkish coffee. I am not that talented in the art of making this coffee, but I just love it, and it does not stop me from ordering this coffee anytime it appears on a menu. I love the intricateness of a class above.

There were many stories that were related to how coffee was first discovered and why it then became a major part of some cultures. Legend has it that an Ethiopian shepherd who noticed how his sheep stayed awake all night after eating wild coffee berries decided to try some of the coffee berries for himself, and he found that the berries had the same effect upon him. Thus, the first use of coffee for an all-nighter started. In its more poetic form, coffee was considered a wine from the berry of the coffee tree. It was first used in ceremonies by the mystic Sufi religions in Yemen. The drink helped the Sufi mystics to stay up late to recite their night prayers.

While in Turkey, coffee has played an important part in the lifestyle of the Turkish people. It was believed that the women of Turkey began at a young age, to learn the art of properly preparing Turkish coffee. This is because potential husbands would judge whether a woman was a good match for marriage, based upon her ability to make coffee.

So, there you go, this is what I consider a character of intricateness. *smile*

No comments: