Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Be Careful What You Wish For

Got a call from one of my girlfriends last week, but I choose to ignore it, as this girlfriend more than often likes to gossip. However, something inside me today told me to call her and see what she wants, but I was still hesitant for a while, as I really do not want to waste time talking about other people.

Finally, I dialed her number and she answered after the third ring, she sounded very normal, so after the normal salutation, she asked me if I have heard anything about her. Obviously the answer was a no. Without any warning, she told me that her husband had passed away suddenly. I was shocked, silent for a minute, then inhaled deeply to clear my mind and carry on with the conversation again.

This was a lady who had wished for her husband to be dead, when he got back from performing his hajj, he was there when the incident of the bridge happened, and a stampede took place causing many people to die. This was a lady who was never satisfied with whatever the husband had given to her, and was super suspicious of him.

The conversation was cut short with me wishing her all the best in her life, and happy to know that her late husband’s brother will be taking care of her and her only daughter, till she completes her high school. Alhamdulillah.

It brought me to think, how we should be very careful for what we wish for. I remember how mom in her moment of anger will spit out words that had such an impact on me, that even though the last time she said those words was 4 years back, but the words stuck strong in my head. Having eight children, she would say carelessly that she is not bothered if one of us were to go, she will still have seven more children, and if seven were to go she will still have one. If it was said once, maybe I would be able to forget it but when such words were repeated, it will be a point to consider for me.

I can only say next time you wish for something, think before making that wish, you would not want it to come true and haunt you for the rest of your life.

No comments: