Monday, October 22, 2012

Why Is Islam So Misunderstood?

A day before the operation I took my little angel to watch “Taken 2”, it was never plan but we did talked about this movie a lot as we both enjoyed the first one and do look forward to watching Liam Neeson in action again.

It was an action packed movie, of course with an expected ending. Nevertheless, seeing how happy and enthusiastic my little angel was after the movie was worth every single time and dime spent in the cinema with her.

For a couple of days after the movie she could not get it out of her head, the notion that everything bad, terrorist, vengeance and being revengeful must and will be related to Islam. She kept telling me how sad that Islam is being viewed in that kind of manner and why?

Trying to explain the misconception of this matter to a 16 year old girl, I have to be very very careful in my choice of words and example. It was not easy when her inquisitive mind keep on finding more questions to all the answers that I had provided. Yes, why is Islam so misunderstood, and why does this not happen to other religions?

My explanations to my little angel were brief and simple, though I do go an extra mile with her to make her understand. Islam is not a religion of war and cruelty as often amplified by the media and those who do not understand the religion at all (I am not saying that I am an expert in the religion), when it is in fact a religion of peace.

I told her that people forgot that religion and characters are two very different things. Islam like all other religions only teaches us to do good and to be peaceful at all time. However, there are certain categories of people in the Muslim world and embracing Islam such as the extremists who do behave badly and abused the entire meaning of the Islamic religion.

Taken 2 for example managed to emphasize the misunderstanding of Islam to the characters of the believer.  What a SHAME!!!!!!

No comments: