Saturday, December 3, 2011

Goulash

Tried my hand at cooking goulash for the first time, this is a very famous Hungarian dish and also part of the local menu here. Since my body has been consumed with so much pain, I am now managing simple cooking that does not require too much usage of my right hand. And I discovered that goulash is a simple to cook dish.

Anyways, the goulash turns out to be very successful and was an instant palate love by my little unit here. I served the goulash with salad and bread.

Ingredient:
Beef cut into cubes (mixed the beef in 1 ½ tablespoon of flour). I chose to add some beef ribs as boiling the bones together will add better taste to the goulash. I did not use any artificial stock for the goulash.

Onions chopped into tiny cubes (it is important to use a lot of onion; in my goulash I used two large sized red onion). Five cloves of garlic (chopped). One tablespoon of caraway and fennel seeds (dry blend). Half tablespoon of fresh ground black pepper, two pieces of bay leaves, some marjoram, thyme and oregano, one can of whole tomatoes, two tablespoon of olive oil, three tablespoon of tomato sauce, and three potatoes (cut into small squares).

Method:
Heat the olive oil in a deep heavy pot on medium high, sauté the onion and garlic for 3 minutes; add the beef cubes together with the bones. Once the beef changed color, add the can of whole tomatoes, the tomato sauce and all the spices, plus two cups of water. Cover the pot and leave to boil for at least 45 minutes, then add the potatoes and salt to taste. Leave the goulash to simmer for at least another 30 minutes or until the sauce is thicken and the potatoes are done. Serve the goulash warm, with bread.

No comments: