Saturday, July 31, 2010

Goodbye Dearest Friend

At 0425 hours this morning I was informed that her heart, liver and kidneys had failed. I did not reply to the text message as I was lost for words. I woke up and just sit in bed staring into empty space waiting for the first ray of sun, while trying to think straight.

Less than an hour afterward I received the news that my dear girl friend had been defeated in her battle with the disease, and has returned to the Creator. I felt numb; in fact my mind went blank for a moment before I responded to the text message.

Petone, as I fondly called her will no longer walk on this passage of the world. I believed that she is in a better place now. I will be missing her, missing the excitement in her voice each time we talked, missing her beautiful sexy eyes, but most of all I will be missing a very dear friend who is more than family to me. She breathed her last breath peacefully surrounded by all those who love her.

We have gone a long way together since our first meeting during university. I have never seen Petone angry or dejected while fighting her disease. It was through her sickness that I became close to all members of her family. No matter where I am, we always manage to track each other down. Petone, unlike many never failed me, not even during my only son’s wedding. She was frail then but she made the journey all the way from JB to KL to support me, and that is what a friend she was.

The last time I was with her, she was still trying to convince me that everything is alright with her, she was limping from being too thin, yet she was so proud to be inviting me to have lunch with her. We chat about many things, old times, old friends, ambitions and what not’s. She was as cheery as ever.

She is gone now, gone forever; I have lost a wonderful wonderful girl friend who stood by me all these times. No one can replace Petone, the silent understanding that we had between us is now silenced forever.

I will miss you Petone, and I know we will meet again someday, for now I pray that the Lord bless your soul. I love you girl friend ………………………. Al Fatiha.

2 comments: