Thursday, March 11, 2010

My Grandfather 'Tok Bak'

My grandfather came to me last night, I have never anticipated meeting my grandfather again even if it was just a breeze of a dream, but last night he came. He was looking very much the same as I could remember him. A little old man half hunched, one eye blinded, with a cigarette in his hand, and very alert of his surroundings.

He did not say anything, he was just there walking under one of the fruit trees in my grandparents garden, stopping every once in a while to touch the trees, to smell the grass and to look at the fruits. I was just sitting looking at him from the veranda of my grandparents’ old wooden house. Somehow, I was happy just to see him again at that moment, I wanted to go to him and tell him that I have a grandson now, but then an afterthought told me to wait a bit until he came round to where I was sitting.

My grandfather was deaf, and it will be an effort to tell him about my grandson, what more to describe about him, so I decided to wait. The sun was nearly down, and I was still waiting. Normally at this time, my grandfather will take the broom and start to gather all the fallen leaves under the tree, and that was exactly what he did, and I go on waiting, just enjoying myself with his presence.

But I was jolted out of the dream suddenly, I don’t remember how but I woke up and he was gone. For a moment I felt sad, as I was not able to tell him about my grandson, my heart was filled with regret. I stayed awake for a couple more minutes, saying some supplication for him, hoping that he is at peace where he is now.

We will meet again I know, and the first thing I will be telling my grandfather will definitely be about my grandson. Please come and visit me again soon.

No comments: