Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Butter Prawns

Tried my hands at cooking butter prawns last Thursday and this is the first time I have ever done it. As usual I will search the net for the simplest and easiest to do recipe, then I will have to improvise where ingredients are concerned, as most of the time I could not find them available where I am at the moment.

Nevertheless, where there is a will, there will always be a way. I managed albeit all odds and the taste of the butter prawns was simply fantastic.

My version of butter prawns: Ingredients

½ a kilo medium sized tiger prawns (remove the head, slide the back of the prawns and remove the dark vein, leave the skin intact), 3 egg yolks (lightly beaten), 4 pieces finely chopped small green chili, 4 cloves of minced garlic (I used garlic as I do not have curry leaves), 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, 2 cups vegetable cooking oil for deep frying, ½ can light evaporated milk, salt and sugar to taste.

Method:

To make the egg floss: heat 4 tablespoons butter plus 1 tablespoon of vegetable cooking oil in a deep wok. Make sure that the butter and oil is really hot, hold the egg yolk bowl high up from the wok and pour into the hot oil, while quickly stirring nonstop, so that the egg yolk will come out as floss. Remove it from the wok once egg floss turn brown, and strain in an oil strainer. Mind you this is not an easy process, and I have to keep on trying doing this to be good.

In another wok, heat 2 cups vegetable cooking oil, deep fry the tiger prawns for just 5 minutes or once the prawns change color, remove them from the wok and set aside.

In the same wok, pour out the remaining oil, clean with a paper towel and heat 3 tablespoons of butter. Once the butter melts add the minced garlic and chopped green chili until fragrant, add the light evaporated milk, and let them simmer for 5 minutes then add in the prawns and leave in the mixture till the gravy thickens, remove from wok and add the egg floss.

Serve hot with steamed white rice………………….. yummy!!!!!!

No comments: