Sunday, July 22, 2012

Can Fasting Be That Difficult?

Yesterday evening a friend called at around 2000 hours, just when I was super busy preparing food in the kitchen for break fast, on the second day of Ramadan. I was not really concentrating on the conversation but one thing that still stuck in my mind was our talk on Ramadan. This is mainly because I don’t understand and am still trying to understand what is so difficult about fasting that a believer just totally ignored it, especially when one is living outside the country. 

Well, in the conversation I caught this friend confused on the dates that we were to start fasting here; immediately I told him “obviously you are not fasting right”? The justification that followed was not convincing enough to me, and I shall leave it at that.

Anyways, prior to the beginning of Ramadan I met another friend while out shopping in IKEA. We made some small talks ending with me greeting her with a blessed Ramadan. I was so surprised with her respond especially in front of my hubby (note: hubby is a new comer to fasting), and the two girls. Evidently, she was very proud when she told me that “I don’t have to fast, God told me that I don’t need to fast”. To this I just smiled and bid her farewell.

It is so sad, really, really sad for I have met too many believers that no longer fast in the month of Ramadan just because they are no longer living with their family and country.

Why? Can fasting be that difficult?

No comments: