Thursday, April 24, 2008

Birthdays and Fairy Tales


Talking about birthdays, I love birthdays, especially when the celebration goes to my kids. No matter what the situation, I will try my very best to give them the best of the day that they came into my life. Normal birthdays, are presents, cakes, together time and good dinners. So, when birthdays are mine, the same questions keep on coming. When is you birthday exactly ma......????

You may think, oh how absurd, that I don't even know when is my birthday. Reality sucks, I don't know when is my birthday. Boo Hoo, do you cry, or do you laugh?, well, I choose to laugh, because I am through with the later. I was born and raise in the most developed country in South East Asia, Singapore. Growing up and living in Singapore was one of the best moment in my life. Good things normally won't last long, so was my life in Singapore. We have to come back to Malaysia, my parents decided on that, and so the beginning of a lot of changes in my life. Singapore has always been fairy tales and good times, no worries, no tears, no hardship and all the nos. I remember we have a comfortable home, not big, neither was it too small, it was very close to the sea and, our house was facing the golf course then, I remember, yes I do, very clearly remember, how excited we all will be when Mr. Lee Kuan Yew Yu walk through the greens to start his hit of Golf. I remember, we all will be standing by the fence and, start waving frantically to him, ahhhh....... that man, changes he knows the meaning. How, I wish that my citizenship was never changed.
What can I say about the beginning of my life journey in Malaysia, my parents were busy building their very own home, It was very much bigger then the one that we have in Singapore, but it was never a warm place for me. Prior to that, we were living with my grandparents, my grandmother, how do I tell you about her? Many good things, she was such a strength but she is also a villain, very fierce, but I have never met anyone more more caring then my late grandma, whom we called Tok Mak (may you rest in peace and may your soul be blessed always). My late grandfather, whom we called Tok Bak was not much of a talker, a caring person and a great observer (may God bless you too Tok Bak). Life was not easy as compared to when I was living in Singapore, no more Christmas for me, no more birthday parties, it was a strict regime of discipline.

During my time in high school, we were categorized by our performance, and all the smart ones will be in one class, I remember I was in that class, it was Form 1 S (S for special). Students in this class were automatically given scholarship, why????? see because you have the brains..... hiks..... smile!!!!! However, to be registered for the scholarship, I will have to fill up a form with all my personal details and return same to the school. (Music roll....... to the sound of Jacques Brel ... ne me quitte pas :P). First time ever, I saw my birth certificate, it was an A4 size document, all the prints were in red and the personal details was hand written in black ink. Ok, to me this is so fancy, it's a grand piece of document before my Degrees and Maters of course. Anyways, I did not take much notice of it, gave to the school for verification and then took it home to be given to my father for safe keeping.

However, while, I was in class on that magical day, I decided to go through the cert and my inquisitive mind starts questioning. Funny, my registered birth date was in May, ok, ok, so I was born in May, you think? Well, wait a minute, I had my BCG injection in the first week of March, hemmm........ how? I got my injection even before I see the world. Ok, go on read some more, then I notice that the signature of the registrar was on the second week of March. Wow...... confused, confused. I did not asked my parents straight away on this matter, till I was in Form 3, don't know why the delays, guess I was going through more confusing era of growing up then.

I was told by my parents, both of them that I was given away as a child..... hemm, wait a minute, then my father felt guilty and decided to take me back, oh ok, that explains, but when was I born? The answer, sometime in March, and the registrar must have made a mistake with the registered birth date. Ok la, understood....... but when exactly? You guess right, no one knows...................... Hooray, I'm a happy confused child!!!!! Got it?

So birthdays to me are just fairy tales. I love you Abah and Emak, endless.

















No comments: