Tuesday, June 5, 2012

....... That’s All That I Am Asking Out Of You.

I have been hurt in my life far too many times to even bother feeling anything anymore, but seeing the one that I love struggling with bipolar and fighting it head on, and not getting the support as well as understanding of family members is more hurtful to me than anything else.

I want family members to understand that the struggle is not always about her personally controlling the symptoms on her own, I want them to understand how ugly it really is. I want them to understand how sad it is to be in her situation when people refused to understand and cannot accept that bipolar is a real illness.

I want them to understand that it is no different than any other illness, except that this one takes over not only the mind but the body as well. How can anyone be so judgmental and confused when it comes to the question of bipolar, especially during the moment when they cannot control their actions? I want them to understand that it is not their intention to be selfish and hurtful to people around them, it is their chemistry going out of sync with how it should normally be, thus causing all kinds of absurd problems, actions, and thoughts.

I want family members to forgive her when she becomes verbally abusive, and understand her, and DO NOT give up on her. It is very important that family members do not judge her for all her actions during the intense periods. I would like family members to take time to learn about bipolar with me and understand her, and see how much better she can be when being treated correctly (by way of medication and family support).

I would also like to share the knowledge that there are significant studies that relate Bipolar disorder as hereditary as well as environmental triggers (I will write about the hereditary factor soon).

Try to learn and understand, that’s all that I am asking out of you.

No comments: