Monday, July 4, 2011

LESS Is The New MORE

It is not easy to eat healthy if you refuse to make a habit of it. I have decided that eating healthy also means spending less time in the kitchen, less money spent on ingredients, fewer dishes to be washed, and less consumption of electricity. To me the benefits are plenty while everything else is less, so why not.

It is life changing, throwing away the old habits and welcoming the new can be a tough test to maneuver but if you keep on trying, you will find that nothing is too difficult where your health is concerned. I am happy with my trials and my angels comments on me so far has shown that LESS is the new MORE.

Anyways, I discovered that I also have a thing with oatmeal. I love them either boiled as porridge with skim milk, or roasted in the oven and munched as nibbles, or making them into cookies.

The oatmeal cookie is rather thick and the oatmeal on the cookie can be a little bit chewy. But you know what, the more time you take to chew, the less you will consume of the food. This is good, don’t you think so?

Let me share this recipe of oatmeal cookie which is just excellent at any time of the day, the fiber content is high and the calorie count is low. Take time and give yourself a go, you will learn to like it.

Ingredients

1/2 cup margarine (I no longer use butter for my cakes and cookies), softened
1 egg
½ teaspoon fine mountain salt (get the brown one if you can)
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 1/2 cups oats
3/4 cup raisins

In a large bowl, put together the margarine and egg and mix well. Stir in the whisk: flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt, then add in the oats and raisins. Keep the dough in the fridge for an hour or at least 30 minutes or you can also bake them straight away. The reason I like to keep them for a bit is because it allows the sweet taste of the raisin to integrate in the dough better. If you notice I am not using any sugar (yeahhhhhhhhh……….. no sugar!!!!!!!).

Roll out the dough and using any shape of cookie press that you like, press each cookie on a baking paper, make sure not to arrange the cookies too close to each other as they will rise in size while baking.

The temperature of the oven should not be more than 170 degree C. Bake for 15 minutes or until the cookies turn into nice brown color.

Happy trying!!!

No comments: