Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Let's Make Some Murukku

Murukku has always been my all time favorite snacks.  It's very difficult to get them here, and like many food that I like and could not get them easily here, I have learned to cook them myself.  This is my trying at making the murukku.  It is really very simple, and I.m sharing here the recipe too if you would like to give it a go. 
1kg of chcikpea flour, some curry leaves (chopped into tiny pieces), a table spoon of chili powder, a table spoon of curry powder, half cup of sesame seeds, two table spoon of ajwain seeds (you can get this from the Indian grocery shops), some salt to taste and enough vegetable oil for deep frying.
 Mix all of the ingredients together to form a firm paste, be careful not to add to much water as you do not want the mixture to be watery.  Leave the mixture to stand for at least half an hour.
 Use a murukku mould (this I borrowed from a friend here), put enough of the mixture into the mould
 Heat enough vegetable oil in a deep wok or heavy bottom frying pan
Once the oil is very hot, press out the mixture into the oil (since I'm too weak to do this, hubby was on hand)
 Let it fry 4-5 minutes on both sides
 
Yes, the finish product.................

No comments: