Friday, March 27, 2009

Some Habits Die Hard

60 Earth Hour ……. What a name? I agree that you have to be kind to save the world, but what have these people achieved so far, are they not the same people who destroy the world to start with.

I remember way before this earth hour thing, I have always been very diligent in the usage of electricity, my heart used to bleed each time I saw the electricity bill in our old house, my son would leave the air conditioner on 24/7, not mentioning the TV etc, it was tough then to just tell him to switch off, or the kids will use the dryer to dry just 1 shirt. It was such wastage to this humble earth, and a big hole in my already tattered pocket.

I decided to tone down on the usage of electricity, not initially conscious of saving the earth, but more so to saving my budget, however, I guess I got that habit extended a bit too far now. I would actually walk in the dark by using my sense of touch just like the blind, sit in the dark, so much so that it irritates my kids and hubby when they see me in the dark always. Now I even refuse to use the dishwasher, I will iron all clothes together, not one at a time, I will boil the potatoes and use the same water to boiled the eggs, the heater in the house runs on gas instead of electricity, etc…… but does this mean that the earth is being given another lease of life? Or I am a better organizer with my billing budget.

I believe that in every good thing there will be something bad and vice versa, propaganda like this is so last year, followers just follow to be ‘in’, but does it make an impact? I doubt because some habits die hard.

Saving the earth begins from your heart, not to shout out on 60 earth hour.

No comments: